Happy Frigg and Freya’s Day
The Routines are finished and I have my principles and goals written down. This leaves my Bucket List, Weightlifting Plan, Diet and Budgeting plan. The three plans I will deal with next week, but today is the Bucket List.
For me a bucket list is a list of important side quests. It’s what I am doing to enjoy life. I have done one before and there were some raised eyebrows about some of them. The issue for me is not to be the straight arrow I was before as pastor. I don’t wear a white hat nor do I wear a black one. I just want to live my life and wear a grey hat while doing it. The Bucket List is the best reflection of this. It’s not about goals so much as enjoying life as much as possible.
- Go Back to Budapest, Hungary for a vacation. Perhaps as part of one of those River Cruises that go up and down the Danube River. I loved that city but I just didn’t have the time to explore it fully.
- Get My Tattoos. I actually have four planned for myself at this point and a joint tattoo which my wife agreed to get with me. 1) Valknut Based Tattoo on my right hand or forearm. 2) Double Ravens on my right shoulder 3) Double wolves on my left shoulder. 4) Broken Celtic Cross in the center of my back. 5) Joint tattoo with my wife. She has agreed to something small but in a noticeable place.
- Actually get drunk – I am a big dude and do drink but I have never gotten drunk as far as I can tell. I just don’t know what my limit actually is because I have never arrived there.
- Smoke a Joint – this is conditional on my state legalizing MJ in November but I do want to try it once.
- Hike the Northern Lakeshore Trail along the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This needs to be my first true hiking experience.
- Write My Novel – Needs to be done. Not just the National Novel Writing Novel that I did finish but a true novel 90-120 thousand words and submitted for publication.
- Learn Latin – I actually have Wheellock on my shelf. The book the workbook and the reader. I just need to discipline myself to do it.
- Learn Hungarian – I would like to go to Budapest and speak the language if possible. Yeah that’s two languages.
- Weightlifting – Bench 225 lbs, Squat 315 lbs, and Deadlift 405 lbs. This is really three in one but hey it works. By the way this is for reps in my current routine. So last set at least four reps for each on a 4 x 8 which is the minimum reps on the last set without me dropping back.
- Start my own business – This is the eventual goal under my business virtues. I would like a bar with an attached BBQ place. Another option is a bar, coffee shop, bookstore combo.
The rules of course are once one thing is completely done, to cross it off and add something new if I fall below eight things. I plan on dying with a bucket list in hand still with things on it.
“Discipline is the willingness to be hard on oneself first and then if needed help with the development with others, so that greater purposes may be achieved.”
Principle: Apply discipline to every aspect of life that it can be applied.
The Routines are all in place and now the great challenge is to get things done every day. Planning phase over basically, now it’s time to make it happen. The real discipline issue now is school work. It usually isn’t a problem when I find the personal motivation but this is my last semester and I have a large case of last semester drop off. It is something I fight everyday.
One other thing that dogs me is thinking on the past. It can really steal my time and I need to be more proactive on stopping that from happening. It’s hard because I have guilt plus a lot of wounds inflicted to deal with. Not everything has scared over and some sometimes I still bleed a little. But I keep going, I just need to find a way past it all and get on with things. Certain thoughts and dreams make that hard is all.
“Perseverance is the ability to stand up and return from defeat and failure”
Principle: Keep getting up after every defeat or failure.
A thought struck me when I was meditating on this virtue the other day. It’s not just that you keep getting up, but it’s also how you get up that matters. Sometimes when you get back up it’s not time to take another hit but heal. Strategic withdrawal is sometimes necessary. You can always exercise courage another day. In large part that is what me and my wife have been doing. With drawing after our marriage got knocked down and trying to heal it before we go on. It’s working so far.
“Fidelity is the will to be loyal to one’s Gods and Goddesses, to one’s Folk, to one’s self, and loyalty to one’s friends was as valued as highly as loyalty to one’s family.”
Principle: Be loyal to those who have been loyal to me.
My loyalty to my wife is high. I mean what other level should I have given that after cheating on her and telling her that I didn’t love her anymore but the highest; when despite all that she continued to love me and forgave me? She demonstrated fidelity to me even though I wasn’t being loyal to her. I don’t get it but she is something special and she is loved and respected by me.
My family, my few friends know I will be there for them. I have been at my current job long enough to develop loyalty to my team that works together. It’s nice to have coworkers again. I don’t really have a faith to be loyal to yet. I also am more dedicated to the principles of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness than I am the current crop of leaders that have played games with those rights all my life. Ultimately, I am loyal to my code and my philosophy. That’s enough for me right now.
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.