Happy Woden’s (Odin) Day
I was told a couple of days ago at work that I looked like I was tired all the time. That same coworker who knows I work, go to school and am working on my marriage (my life trifecta) said she was worried because she thought I was burning the candle at both ends. Like Hitchens I have found in such times, life gives off such a wonderful glow. It’s too bad that what is burning is your soul.
I have to admit I am probably more tired than usual and my sleep schedule is light most of the time. I mean 5-6 hours at night with an hour nap thrown in somewhere, maybe if I have time, is not exactly a great amount of sleep but I can pull it off fairly regularly. That said a day off and I am probably not setting the alarm.
I find this feeling on the one hand just numbing but on the other hand I like pressure as it brings out the best work in me. I have experienced this many times and know it is both true and creates some of my best creative work. That’s burning the candle at both ends, and it does lead to more light and heat. I hope I survive it. 🙂
“Self Reliance is the spirit of independence, which is achieved not only for the individual, but also for the family, clan, tribe and nation.”
Principle: Work to be self-reliant in all things.
If there is any challenge to self-reliance it is that in order to live in modern western society you ‘need’ to have vehicles and insurance. These things often mean you actually sacrifice on your actual needs. The nice thing is that school is coming to an end, I am dusting off my resume and will probably start the job hunt beginning of December. If I can make more money and gain some benefits that will go a long way to following the path to self-reliance.
“Industriousness is the willingness to work hard, always striving for efficiency, as a joyous activity in itself”
Principle: Work with enjoyment of work itself.
I like the people I work with. I like my team leader. It is more a matter of the fact that despite I am strong and in good shape that physical labor is still putting on mileage I would rather not feel. I enjoy working. What I want to find is work that I enjoy. Work that doesn’t beat me down physically as much.
“Hospitality is the willingness to share what one has with one’s fellows, especially when they are far from home.”
Principle: Be ready to be hospitable to those who truly need it.
Prosperity still needed for more hospitality. But we do have room for one more mouth at most meals. I think one day that will be put into actual practice. The goal is still to achieve prosperity that leads to hospitality.
- Communication / Cuddle Time
- Reading – 1 hour per day.
- Study / Homework – 1 hour per day or until all necessary work is completed.
- Empty In Box
- Financial Transaction Input
Been tough this week with The Grey being a little stronger, but following the routine every day keeps things moving forward. I am enjoying the routine at times as it keeps my information of where I am very current so I am being very informed in the everyday decisions. I am not running blind and in part that is due to the routine.
- Be transparent with my wife to improve communication
- Graduate with Political Science Degree in December 2018.
- Find a new, better paying job by the end of January 2019 or before.
- In 2019 have a clear budget and financial plan working by the end of the year.
- Maintain a daily blog streak of one post per day for an entire year (365 days).
- Keep gym membership going somewhere and lift weights minimum of four times per week and walk minimum four times per week through end of 2019
- Follow Paleo Diet completely and use intermittent fasting until the end of 2019
- Cross one thing off bucket list every six months (Deadlines July 1st, and December 31st of 2019)
- Be in the best shape I can be by March 18th, 2019 (50th birthday), take pictures.
#2 and #3 are very much in sight and I am thinking that is a very good thing. Both are the culmination of a dream that started about five years ago of a second and different career. My old career didn’t end like I expected, but I am now very much in position to start a new one.
- Basic Emergency Fund – $1000
- Debt Snowball
- Fully funded Emergency fund
- Invest 15% of income into retirement
- Pay off Home Early
- Build Wealth and Give
Had a lot of knocks to the budget and the plan this week. Mostly in the form of vehicle repairs. That said we are still floating.
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.