Happy Thor’s Day – Happy Thanksgiving!!!
If someone were to ask me if I could still celebrate Thanksgiving as a non-Christian, I would probably respond – “You still think Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday? That’s cute.” The thing is that when you study holidays in general you see a couple of things. Nearly all cultures and religions have a celebration of thanksgiving to whatever powers are worshiped at the harvest time. All of them. The other thing you see is when a country or culture accepts Christianity, Christians basically repackage the pagan holidays and re-symbolize them for themselves. In short, Christians have stolen or blended with holidays from all different traditions since Christianity was founded as the early Jewish Christians still celebrated Jewish holidays. Mostly what you see today is Christians have stolen various holiday traditions from paganism and blended them with their own. It’s why some pagans get mad about the whole thing.
Personally, I am taking a different tack this Thanksgiving. I am a deist and I will probably whisper a prayer (something I rarely do anymore) of pure thanksgiving to whatever powers are really out there, if any. But to be honest there are thanks that could be given to many people for that celebration and for the prosperity I receive. So my list of thanks goes to people this year.
- I thank my wife for being a forgiving soul who loves me despite all the things that have happened between us. I haven’t been a very good husband this year, but she deserves wife of the year honors. Thank you baby. I love you more than ever before.
- I thank my Mother for being so generous to us in the past decades for housing us an sheltering us. She has put up with a lot and still loves us.
- I thank my kids for being good kids. You have all followed your hearts and have learned to love with power. All of you have expressed your love for me this last year and I can’t tell you how much that means to me. Thank you.
- I thank my grand kids for being kids. For showing how there can be pure joy in the world for the simple things of life. For showing me that no matter what the news says, I can see hope in your eyes.
- I thank my fellow students at school and my professors. The learning environment over the years has been awesome. That is mostly due to you.
- I thank my coworkers. You have given me comradeship that I do value. It’s nice to work with you, laugh with you and just share this working experience with you. You make the burdens of it lighter.
- As I look at my feast, I thank the farmers, ranchers and all the people who make it possible. To the people who plant, grow, raise, harvest, process and transport all of it – Thank you.
- For everyone who keeps the heat and lights on, provides the basics of life and the luxuries. Thank you.
- I thank the watchers of the wall. While I think many of the so-called threats to the nation are the politicians made up are garbage done for political ploys, I know there are real threats out there that you guard against. Thank you.
- To my friends, to the ones I have left anyway. Thanks for sticking with me. I haven’t made it easy this year I know. I appreciate the real friends who didn’t bolt at the first sign of trouble.
Yeah, I am going to thank people this year. Thank you all.
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.