Happy Moon’s Day
It is in moments of crisis that the Routines and Goals you have keep you focused and allow you to chart a course through it. This week I have had my car breakdown and come to the realization once again that my employer, a company I have worked for before, is questionable in regards to backing me up. I really hate working for other people. You are just vulnerable to their whims and it sucks if they clearly are more about the bottom line, than taking care of their people.
So, I refocus on my goals and readjust my plans. I mentioned though that my goals list is a little non-specific and that needs to change. I usually discuss my goals under Business virtues but I think in order to do that I need to make the changes to being more specific now.
Goal List (current):
- Strengthen Marriage
- Finish my Political Science Degree
- Advance Career
- Monitor and Control Finances
- Write for my Blog – 1 post per day average.
- Follow a Solid Diet Plan
- Create and work a Bucket List.
I also want to add a goal about my 50th birthday (March 18, 2019) which is to be in the best health possible. So a little revision:
Goals List (revised):
- Be transparent with my wife to improve communication
- Graduate with Political Science Degree in December 2018.
- Find a new, better paying job by the end of January 2019 or before.
- In 2019 have a clear budget and financial plan working by the end of the year.
- Maintain a daily blog streak of one post per day for an entire year (365 days).
- Keep gym membership going somewhere and lift weights minimum of four times per week and walk minimum four times per week through end of 2019
- Follow Paleo Diet completely and use intermittent fasting until the end of 2019
- Cross one thing off bucket list every six months (Deadlines July 1st, and December 31st of 2019)
- Be in the best shape I can be by March 18th, 2019 (50th birthday), take pictures.
I am hoping with these goals being more specific with measurable, deadline oriented results, things will go much better. This will be the goal list from now on and appear every Wednesday on Business Virtues.
“Honor is the feeling of inner value and worth from which one knows that one is noble of being, and the desire to show respect for this quality when it is found in the world”
Principle – Be positive about my future
I have some recent challenges to this feeling of self-value. I can’t go into details but the closure thing is still weighing heavy as well as trying to find something that give’s me value to myself. I have had to look to the future to find things that are positive, because the current situation in a lot of ways has become difficult suddenly.
I am working on being positive. I just get tired sometimes about the setbacks. I would just like things to go really well for once.
“Courage is the bravery to do what is right always.”
Principle – Act with Courage at the right time.
Have to say some things to my boss as early as possible this week. Things need to be clearly understood. I know what needs to be done and what the right things is so all that is left is to act.
“Truth is the willingness to be honest and to say what one knows to be true and right. It is often better to not say anything at all if one cannot be honest.”
Principle – Pursue knowledge, wisdom and truth at all times.
I am spending a lot of time in silence but there are those moments I know I need to say something. That’s when courage comes in. But the main thing is I need to get moving with pursuing what I need to pursue. Facing the truth of my situation and doing something about it.
School needs to be a love for the truth, I feel my blogging needs to head that direction as well. Finding truth, knowledge and wisdom is something I have always had as a part of my life and I think this should never change. I want to be learning something on my deathbed, if it comes to that.
- Review Nine Noble Virtues (NNV) and Principles
- Review Goals
- Review Bucket List
- Full Body Stretch
- Meditate on One of the Virtues
- Supplements and Medicines
- Shower and Personal Hygiene
- Get Dressed for the Day
This is the one thing that is going well. Very well. Probably the meditation could be a little more formalized but other than that, I feel good about everything here.
- Go Back to Budapest, Hungary for a vacation.
- Get My Tattoos.
- Actually Get Drunk.
- Smoke a Joint.
- Hike the Northern Lakeshore Trail along the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
- Write My Novel.
- Learn Latin.
- Learn Hungarian.
- Weightlifting – Bench 225 lbs, Squat 315 lbs, and Deadlift 405 lbs.
- Start my own business
By setting a goal of accomplishing one thing on my bucket list every six months, I have kind of raised the bar here. The question is which ones to work on every six months. My best strategy might be to work on a few of them at all times. If I were to pick the low hanging fruit of this list right now it would be to get my tattoos, get drunk, smoke a joint (more possible given that Michigan legalized recreational use) and write my novel. It’s doesn’t mean I won’t work on the rest, I am just actively trying to get one finished. My first deadline is July 1st of 2019, so on these I have a little more time.
Recent events have reminded me of the reasons I wanted to start my own business. There is a vulnerability in working for someone else that has just become unacceptable to me. I don’t want to be put into a position where I must accept retirement or less hours, layoff, etc. I want to be my own boss. I know that has risks, but I would rather be at my own mercy than someone else’s.
My major concern here is my current gym might close. I also have to think about where I might be in the future. When it comes to gyms I have had to acknowledge that I am up in the air here for a lot of reasons, most notably is that I don’t know where I am going to be working. My life is changing chapters and part of that is that my gym may very well change.
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.