Happy Sif’s Day.
When you have had an affair wrestling with fidelity is an issue. You might say it has become a ‘what went wrong” issue for me. But that is not all that factors into this. There are a lot of practical concerns not least of which is as an atheist the basis for marriage has to be practical and also involve spiritual issues from that standpoint.
Are we compatible? Are we good for each other? Etc. Feelings of love aside there is the simple question of ‘what is the purpose of marriage, or any other relationship for that matter if there is no god to answer to?’ When the vows you took have no basis to you anymore why do you have to be faithful and should you? It is a discussion my therapist and I are starting to have.
But fidelity is bigger than marriage and my largest problem with my definition of the virtue of fidelity is that it is taken from Asatru which assumes the existence of gods to be loyal to. It has probably needed a rewrite for some months because of this. Mostly this idea of gods needs to be addressed but there is also the issue of friends and being loyal to myself.
“Discipline is the willingness to be hard on oneself first and then if needed help with the development with others, so that greater purposes may be achieved.”
Principle: Apply discipline to every aspect of life that it can be applied.
Goal: To be following a full Paleo Diet by March 31, 2020.
Bucket List: Do a rebellious act on April 30th, 2020 – Beltane.
I really have no problem with this definition of discipline. One might quibble about the ideas involving others in light of my new understanding of self-reliance, but leadership does require good discipline of the group you lead to be an effective leader.
“Perseverance is the ability to stand up and return from defeat and failure”
Principle: Keep getting up after every defeat or failure.
Goal: To engage in an exercise program that involves weightlifting, hiking/walking, and stretching/ yoga an average of three days a week from April 1st, 2019 to March 31st, 2020
Bucket List: To get at least one tattoo by March 18th, 2020.
“Fidelity is the will to be loyal to one’s moral philosophy, to one’s family, one’s friends, and most important to one’s self, and loyalty to one’s friends is valued as highly as loyalty to one’s family.”
Principle: Be loyal to those who have been loyal to me.
Celebrate my wife and I’s 30th anniversary (June 10th, 2019) with a mini-vacation (achieved)
Bucket List: Discover all the countries of origin from my genetics and visit them all by March 18th, 2029.
- Changed gods and goddesses to moral philosophy
- Added freinds officially to the list of groups to be loyal to
- Emphasized loyalty to self.
- I moved things to the present tense instead of the past tense.
Higher Virtue – Wisdom:
Wisdom is found in consistency. As a writer, I dislike plot holes, dangling side plots, etc. In a same vein, I don’t like inconsistency in one’s viewpoint. Hypocrisy might have an excuse in someone who believes that simply by believing in atonement their hypocrisies are forgiven and thus justified. There is no such idea in atheism. You better have some level of pride to be an atheist and this means to have honor and being ashamed when you fail.
Rest Day Routine:
- Morning Routine
- Wife: Communication / Cuddle Time
- Blogging – Organize, revise, write a new post for the next day, 15 min. work on fiction.
- Cleaning – varies but one room of the apartment at least.
- Reading – 1/7th of a book
- Writing – 3000 Words
Solid, it’s just when I have days off I tend to get lazy about things.
Goals and Bucket List Items Achieved (Since Summer 2018):
Goals Achieved: 5
- Graduated College with a BS in Political Science and minors in Economics and International Business – December 2018
- Finalize last requirements for my degree – Internship by May 2019 – May 2019
- Celebrate my wife and I’s 30th anniversary (June 10th, 2019) with a mini-vacation – June 2019
- Maintain a daily blog streak of one post per day for an entire year (365 days).
- By March 31st of 2020, to be the leader/participant in a group of some kind.
Bucket List Items Achieved: 0
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard, and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.