Happy Wooden’s (Odin’s) Day.
I don’t believe in fate or destiny or any of that crap. I look at what people call fate or whatever, and it looks suspiciously to me like you are just reaping the rewards of your own decisions good or bad. I also don’t believe everything happens for a reason. I believe sometimes good things happen and there is no reason to it. Of course, I have long rejected the notion that God causes all things to happen to us; as it gets very difficult to explain that there was a good reason for a woman to be raped or for parents to see the five-year old child drown. Sorry sometimes shitty things happen and there is no greater plan. You can learn from these things; and be a better and stronger person for it, but there is often no sense to be made from it.
So when I look at making my own way in the world and building something for my wife and I, I look to my self and my own decisions. As the Icelandic proverb states – I am well aware that I am the smith of my own fortune. There are two issues right now. 1) Finding a better job and 2) whether or not to continue with my education.
I am trying not to be as picky, but at the same time my previous work and life experience should count for something. I don’t think being a lawyer would work for me. I would rather do business, writing or even, somebody mentioned this to me. journalism. Mostly though I have to make up for twenty years of doing a professional grade job (pastor is white-collar) for wages at the hourly Joe job level for twenty years, and so I lean toward business.
If this is the case then an MBA might be a better plan long-term. The nice thing is that there are so many completely online MBA programs these days. Even one at the college I just graduated from. I have to give this one serious thought.
“Self Reliance is the spirit of independence, which is achieved not only for the individual, but also for the family, clan, tribe and nation.”
Principle: Work to be self-reliant in all things.
The goal is complete self-reliance in all things. To do that now and in the future requires a growth in prosperity. You can’t just get content even late in life. It leads to stagnation and death. Self-Reliance is very much about staying strong long-term.
“Industriousness is the willingness to work hard, always striving for efficiency, as a joyous activity in itself”
Principle: Work with enjoyment of work itself.
I can work any job with some enjoyment to it. However, I do long for a job I love, but any work can be enjoyable if you look at it through the right frame of mind.
“Hospitality is the willingness to share what one has with one’s fellows, especially when they are far from home.”
Principle: Be ready to be hospitable to those who truly need it.
I really don’t have much opportunity to be hospitable, but it is always there.
Higher Virtue – Justice:
This question of ‘is this decision just’ is always in front of me now. Every time I do something related to other people, I find myself thinking on what the best or most right decision should be for all parties and advocate for that. I guess I am pretty good at being a negotiator in some terms, at least in the terms of seeing both sides of an issue.
- Communication / Cuddle Time
- Reading / Study – Half-hour per day minimum or until all necessary work is completed.
- Clear In Box/ To Do List
- Financial Transaction Input
- Carb Count – currently two a day.
Carb count drops to two for this week and next. The rest now reflects three online classes and an internship, plus staying on top of keeping my marriage strong.
- Be transparent with my wife to improve communication
- Finalize last requirements for my degree – Internship.
- Find a new, better paying job by the end of January 2019 or before.
- In 2019 have a clear budget and financial plan working by the end of the year.
- Maintain a daily blog streak of one post per day for an entire year (365 days).
- Keep gym membership going somewhere and lift weights minimum of four times per week and walk minimum four times per week through end of 2019
- Follow Paleo Diet completely and use intermittent fasting until the end of 2019
- Cross one thing off bucket list every six months (Deadlines July 1st, and December 31st of 2019)
- Be in the best shape I can be by March 18th, 2019 (50th birthday), take pictures.
Gym Membership is on hold and the job search has yielded so far no results. The rest of them are all in progress. When today’s post drops we will be at 115 straight days of blogging.
Goals achieved since Summer 2018: 1
- Basic Emergency Fund – $1000
- Debt Snowball
- Fully funded Emergency fund
- Invest 15% of income into retirement
- Pay off Home Early
- Build Wealth and Give
Still working # 1 but it is getting closer. The key is still a better paying job for myself. Time to smith a better fortune for myself.
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.