Happy Wooden’s (Odin’s) Day.
- A strong feeling of suitability for a particular career or occupation
- A person’s employment or main occupation, especially regarded as particularly worthy and requiring great dedication.
- A trade or profession
You know it is funny when you look up the definition of a word and there are multiple definitions of a word and they all fit together and for a single concept that is true. The word ‘vocation’ is such a word for me right now.
For a long time my vocation was defined by a single word – ‘pastor’. I left that behind me like and old worn out garment which can no longer be mended. I threw it in the trash for a lot of reasons. Most notably that I no longer consider it an honorable profession myself. I don’t speak of this often because I am not trying to be offensive; particularly for those people who are my friends in the ministry, but I made my living basically telling stories and giving people encouragement through belief in something that may not even be true. There is a lot of falsehood to it; to put it kindly. The only real part of my job that feel now might have been helpful was to coach people though some of their tough life decisions. Life coach if you will. You don’t need a religion to do that.
So now what? Well, trying to take twenty years of people and organizational skills, a political science degree and my soon to be 50 year old self and have a new vocation that is 1) suitable for me, 2) becomes a new main occupation that people find worth of pursuit and 3) is my new profession. This is the goal. It is the Business Virtues that guide me the most in this.
“Self Reliance is the spirit of independence, which is achieved not only for the individual, but also for the family, clan, tribe and nation.”
Principle: Work to be self-reliant in all things.
Long term a vocation leads to the kind of self-reliance I am really looking for. The kind that allows me to look to the future with a basic knowledge that my wife and I will be OK as we grow older for many years to come.
“Industriousness is the willingness to work hard, always striving for efficiency, as a joyous activity in itself”
Principle: Work with enjoyment of work itself.
Something worthy of dedication and time spent doing it. I want something that actually accomplishes something real and tangible that people can see. To be respected again is probably the most noble part of Industriousness.
“Hospitality is the willingness to share what one has with one’s fellows, especially when they are far from home.”
Principle: Be ready to be hospitable to those who truly need it.
The ultimate goal is a prosperity that my profession or trade gives me that I can share or use to help others. To build wealth and give. Something my old vocation never really gave me the opportunity to do.
Higher Virtue – Justice:
I want something that has one other quality. It allows me the opportunity to do the right thing and help others get though things in their life. The life coach aspect of the ministry is probably the one thing I truly enjoyed over the years, I would like something that allows me to do that again in some form. It’s why I lean toward Human Resources in Business.
- Communication / Cuddle Time
- Reading / Study – Half-hour per day minimum or until all necessary work is completed.
- Clear In Box/ To Do List
- Financial Transaction Input
- Carb Count – zero.
Still struggling with this one. The truth be told as I look at the calendar, I need to revise my routines again when we hit March. My birthday month has always been a good time to completely overhaul or revise things and this Routine along with many others will be going under revision.
- Be transparent with my wife to improve communication
- Finalize last requirements for my degree – Internship.
- Find a new, better paying job by the end of March 2019 or before.
- In 2019 have a clear budget and financial plan working by the end of the year.
- Maintain a daily blog streak of one post per day for an entire year (365 days).
- Keep gym membership going somewhere and lift weights minimum of four times per week and walk minimum four times per week through end of 2019
- Follow Paleo Diet completely and use intermittent fasting until the end of 2019
- Cross one thing off bucket list every six months (Deadlines July 1st, and December 31st of 2019)
- Be in the best shape I can be by March 18th, 2019 (50th birthday), take pictures.
A lot of these goals have March deadlines. They will be compelled so a few more goals will increase the number below.
Goals achieved since Summer 2018: 1
- Basic Emergency Fund – $1000
- Debt Snowball
- Fully funded Emergency fund
- Invest 15% of income into retirement
- Pay off Home Early
- Build Wealth and Give
Eye on the prize of number six. It remains there like a great golden crown. Every day is a step towards it.
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.