Happy Wooden’s (Odin’s) Day.
I still struggle with what the master plan is here. I don’t have a problem with the business virtues per se, but as I said yesterday, the issue is where to focus my efforts. I suppose this is natural in any career change decision, but I also am about to hit 50 and time becomes a factor. I have been addressing the issue of what path will get me the most income in the short and long runs and Business clearly comes out on top if I get and MBA and head that route.
I also could write on the side with that and try to get my first published novel. I guess I need to really consider pushing this hobby of mine into something else, but would I enjoy it as much? Probably it would be more enjoyable if I actually so some return on the time I spent writing. Business is still a better option financially here.
“Self Reliance is the spirit of independence, which is achieved not only for the individual, but also for the family, clan, tribe and nation.”
Principle: Work to be self-reliant in all things.
Independence is still the goal. I don’t want to put myself in the vulnerable positions of the past where I am dependent on people’s good graces for my livelihood. I want that to be the product of my own efforts.
“Industriousness is the willingness to work hard, always striving for efficiency, as a joyous activity in itself”
Principle: Work with enjoyment of work itself.
I do enjoy working, the creation of it does give me joy, it is just I need a greater challenge than my current job. It would be nice to combine the joy of industriousness with the joy of a job that gives a lot of personal satisfaction.
“Hospitality is the willingness to share what one has with one’s fellows, especially when they are far from home.”
Principle: Be ready to be hospitable to those who truly need it.
I keep heart open to help in any way I can. I also after twenty years of being a pastor have a bull shit meter that goes off a lot when people say they need help. I watched a lot of people exploit the generosity of others over the years, when their real problem was they were lazy or made willful bad self-centered choices. I spent a lot of time thinking – “You’re in this predicament because you are stupid, addicted or just plain a liar and a thief.” Fraud is rampant in that world and I don’t want it in my new world. It really is a genuine challenge to find people who truly need help.
Higher Virtue – Justice:
Justice. it is an interesting word, but it also is something I hold dear. Mostly it is how to let people be free to make their own choices while at the same time pursuing what I want. Liberty has to meet the grand strategy. This means it takes a little more thought than just a quick decision. Leaning to slow down a little here has gone a long way to making things better.
- Communication / Cuddle Time
- Reading / Study – Half-hour per day minimum or until all necessary work is completed.
- Clear In Box/ To Do List
- Financial Transaction Input
- Carb Count – currently one a day.
Pretty solid here. I probably need to be a little harder on myself about getting things done. The carb count has dropped to one a day which is a true challenge.
- Be transparent with my wife to improve communication
- Finalize last requirements for my degree – Internship.
- Find a new, better paying job by the end of January 2019 or before.
- In 2019 have a clear budget and financial plan working by the end of the year.
- Maintain a daily blog streak of one post per day for an entire year (365 days).
- Keep gym membership going somewhere and lift weights minimum of four times per week and walk minimum four times per week through end of 2019
- Follow Paleo Diet completely and use intermittent fasting until the end of 2019
- Cross one thing off bucket list every six months (Deadlines July 1st, and December 31st of 2019)
- Be in the best shape I can be by March 18th, 2019 (50th birthday), take pictures.
I may have to change the gym membership goal at least temporarily until I get a new job. I am working on the new job and the internship has started. Blog streak is at 129 days today. Diet and fasting in place and being followed – mostly.
Goals achieved since Summer 2018: 1
- Basic Emergency Fund – $1000
- Debt Snowball
- Fully funded Emergency fund
- Invest 15% of income into retirement
- Pay off Home Early
- Build Wealth and Give
Working it and things are a little better. I just think faster progress would be made if I just made a little more money to the point things are going a little faster.
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.