Happy Wooden’s (Odin’s) Day.
Like Love, Justice is a little harder to define. True justice measures each case it is needed individually and measures what the right thing to do is. For the purpose of myself and my Business Virtues this is more of what is the just thing to do in the realm of my relationships with others.
In relationship to the other Business Virtues justice also fits well. I am seek to be Self-Reliant because it is just not to live off the work and well being of others. I am Industrious because it is just to work to support my own self and be as efficient as possible, so I have time to do other things that are also important involving family and friends. I am Hospitable to those who need it because part of justice is mercy and compassion when necessary.
The point I have always made with the Business Virtues is that they are mostly about my dealings with others. Adding the higher virtue of Justice simply allows me to get the bigger picture of my dealings with others, and ask the simple question of: “Am I being just in my dealings with other people?”
“Self Reliance is the spirit of independence, which is achieved not only for the individual, but also for the family, clan, tribe and nation.”
Principle: Work to be self-reliant in all things.
I think my wife and I are at this point of self reliance where we are taking care of ourselves. We have done this mostly by adjusting our lifestyle to fit our income. What i want to get to is a place where we don’t worry about this as much and where self-reliance is more automatic.
“Industriousness is the willingness to work hard, always striving for efficiency, as a joyous activity in itself”
Principle: Work with enjoyment of work itself.
I have begun a job search and part of that is rewriting my resume. It’s interesting to refer to myself as a retired pastor becasue I don’t consider myself retired in the sense of being finished working. Industriousness also kind of implies to me that the whole concept of retirement is not something I can embrace without also saying – I need to keep working in some way. Part of the reason I want my own business eventually is this line of thinking.
“Hospitality is the willingness to share what one has with one’s fellows, especially when they are far from home.”
Principle: Be ready to be hospitable to those who truly need it.
I think my wife and could host some sort of small group now. I just am not sure i ready in other ways to do so. I still stand ready to be helpful to those who need it.
Higher Virtue – Justice:
I guess I am more of a person in a position to act justly than I can give any examples of where I have done so. The past right now comes up from time to time and their are a few people that I simply have chosen to ignore at this point. I do still subscribe to the notion the vengeance is a waste of time in a lot of respects. Waiting patiently for people to reap what they sow? Well, that’s a different story.
- Communication / Cuddle Time
- Reading / Study – Half-hour per day minimum or until all necessary work is completed.
- Empty In Box
- Financial Transaction Input
- Carb Count – currently three a day.
This has been working a little better. In a week when school starts again, it will be put to the test. I have three classes that are about resume padding and keeping full time status so I can pay for my internship. Study time will probably be taken up with that. Carbs being three a day has been a challenge but so far so good.
- Be transparent with my wife to improve communication
- Finalize last requirements for my degree – Internship.
- Find a new, better paying job by the end of January 2019 or before.
- In 2019 have a clear budget and financial plan working by the end of the year.
- Maintain a daily blog streak of one post per day for an entire year (365 days).
- Keep gym membership going somewhere and lift weights minimum of four times per week and walk minimum four times per week through end of 2019
- Follow Paleo Diet completely and use intermittent fasting until the end of 2019
- Cross one thing off bucket list every six months (Deadlines July 1st, and December 31st of 2019)
- Be in the best shape I can be by March 18th, 2019 (50th birthday), take pictures.
A lot of these are started and in process. Some of them cannot be said to be completed until years end. The real issue right now is just staying on top of things.
Goals achieved since Summer 2018: 1
- Basic Emergency Fund – $1000
- Debt Snowball
- Fully funded Emergency fund
- Invest 15% of income into retirement
- Pay off Home Early
- Build Wealth and Give
This plan is still in place. The needs remain the same.
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.