Happy Woden’s Day (Woden is another name for Odin)
So, with my decision to let meditation on the Nine Noble Virtues (NNV) be a true guiding force to my goals and letting go of my notion of roles, what goals do I currently have?
- Strengthen Marriage – Given recent events my wife and I are spending time and even a little money to work on our marriage.
- Finish my Political Science Degree – I have one semester left and an Internship. By the end of December I should have graduated with only my internship left. My degree will be a BS in Political Science with minors in Economics and International Business.
- Advance Career – Once I have the degree I need to start a new career. I am keeping my options open at this point. It may even involve continuing education.
- Monitor and Control Finances – My wife and I being on our own means we now do this together.
- Write for my Blog – 1 post per day average.
- Exercise – Weightlifting four times a week plus morning stretching every day.
- Follow a Solid Diet Plan – Paleo with intermittent fasting needs to be more and more a part of my life.
- Create and work a Bucket List.
My first step to achieving all that is to put things into morning, daily and weekly routines. So what I need is a list of things for the Morning routine, the Daily routine and the Weekly routine. I need then to start going through these routines.
Part of this is going to be setting up plans too: Having a budget me and my wife work out together, my weightlifting plan and my diet plan. In addition, I need that bucket list.
Once school is over, I will be making some decision about continuing my education. I also want to get back to walking after school. Right now I am using the rather long walk from where I park to class four days a week for that. After school is over, I will need a new plan.
“Self Reliance is the spirit of independence, which is achieved not only for the individual, but also for the family, clan, tribe and nation.”
Principle: Work to be self-reliant in all things.
My wife and I have actually achieved some measure of self-reliance at this point. Food, clothing and shelter plus insurance and two vehicles. It basically allows the both of us to function in this society and we really don’t need any help. We still get a little, but I am slowly trying to wean us both off of it.
There may be other things as time goes by that require provision. Our goal is that we first look to ourselves to provide them or perhaps if we can’t, we don’t need them. There is still a minimalist in me that is rather strong.
“Industriousness is the willingness to work hard, always striving for efficiency, as a joyous activity in itself”
Principle: Work with enjoyment of work itself.
What we are doing now as a couple is trying to be more efficient. That is getting more bang for the buck. Basically we are budgeting and looking at how to make more money wherever we can. It really is now about finding work we enjoy and is more lucrative.
In any case even though I am not working where I would ultimately like to be, I still am trying to enjoy work for its own sake. It makes what I am doing go smoother and without that dread most people have when they go to a job.
“Hospitality is the willingness to share what one has with one’s fellows, especially when they are far from home.”
Principle: Be ready to be hospitable to those who truly need it.
I actually thought about picking up a hitch hiker the other day. My heart goes out to wanderers in this world, so it was a draw to me. But from a hospitality point of view, we can offer much more than a couple of months ago.
I want to still design my living room in this small apartment to handle a small group. I am introverted but I don’t mind the occasional social gathering I can control. It might be more cost-effective to serve something basic and tell everyone to bring their own booze. We will see.
I remain –
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.