Happy Woden’s (Odin) Day
For a week or so the A Skald’s Life posts will be a reexamination of each element and later consideration of new elements to be added. Most of this is trying to create routines that enable me to get things done and get them done quickly.
I have basically been relaxing when I haven’t been at work. Just letting the mind, heart and body take a break. I was going to join a gym but financially this is a little difficult at Christmas time. Hopefully soon. In any case, I am just calmly meditating on what is next while not being in a hurry to find out.
Mostly right now I just want to enjoy Yuletide, update my resume and start sending it out and enjoy some time with my family. I have to set up my internship and some other details but it looks like things are going well.
As I look at changes to things in journals, goals, routines, etc. I want to be sure that those changes are good ones.
“Self Reliance is the spirit of independence, which is achieved not only for the individual, but also for the family, clan, tribe and nation.”
Principle: Work to be self-reliant in all things.
My new path must be a path that leads to self-reliance in the sense I want it to be able to provide all our needs and be a path to prosperity. I don’t want something that allows me to just get by, I want more than enough and the means to make that true until I die.
“Industriousness is the willingness to work hard, always striving for efficiency, as a joyous activity in itself”
Principle: Work with enjoyment of work itself.
I am learning to enjoy work. I like to look back at the end of the day and say: “I did this and it was progress or positive” What I am looking for now is work I enjoy as well. I don’t know what that is going to be, but I am excited for the search.
“Hospitality is the willingness to share what one has with one’s fellows, especially when they are far from home.”
Principle: Be ready to be hospitable to those who truly need it.
My wife and I have a living room that has a sectional couch in it now and it speaks a little of our progress. It is a lot nicer that folding chairs. I always leave my heart open to help. I guess that is one thing that hasn’t changed. Despite my best efforts to be a hard ass, I still find myself reaching out with compassion to people. If there is a change, it is I don’t spend so much of my energy to help so that I am drained to help myself. There is a balance here right now that I like. I can’t save the world, but perhaps maybe a person here and there would be OK.
- Communication / Cuddle Time
- Reading / Study – 1 hour per day minimum or until all necessary work is completed.
- Empty In Box
- Financial Transaction Input
I took the Reading and the Study time and combined it into one thing. I just wanted some flexibility here and to be realistic in that I might have more school in the future. Basically it is mandatory to spend an hour reading or studying something every day. When in school, the thing is to do that minimum or as much as is needed that day more or less. If less, then I still need to fill the hour. This just makes the bookkeeping easier and what I can do more flexible.
- Be transparent with my wife to improve communication
- Finalize last requirements for my degree.
- Find a new, better paying job by the end of January 2019 or before.
- In 2019 have a clear budget and financial plan working by the end of the year.
- Maintain a daily blog streak of one post per day for an entire year (365 days).
- Keep gym membership going somewhere and lift weights minimum of four times per week and walk minimum four times per week through end of 2019
- Follow Paleo Diet completely and use intermittent fasting until the end of 2019
- Cross one thing off bucket list every six months (Deadlines July 1st, and December 31st of 2019)
- Be in the best shape I can be by March 18th, 2019 (50th birthday), take pictures.
Seeing I did graduate, I have changed # 2 to reflect getting the last details of the degree finished so I will come in the mail. That will probably be sometime in June but most of it is done. I can say though goals achieved so far: 1. I think I will keep a running count, just for motivational purposes. I want to take a closer look at this list specifically next week at this same time so, I will leave it for now.
- Basic Emergency Fund – $1000
- Debt Snowball
- Fully funded Emergency fund
- Invest 15% of income into retirement
- Pay off Home Early
- Build Wealth and Give
Still step one, but I feel things will get better in the coming year. I really want to be in step 2 by the end of the 2019. If I have a desired timeline it would be to start working on step 3 in a few years. Like the start of 2022
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.