Happy Woden’s (Odin) Day
This is just something running around in my head of late but there is always this notion that our lives lead up to some sort of climax, some sort of last battle. Some defining moment that identifies us for who we are forever. We romanticize this notion and most of our stories and book of fiction are all about this idea of climax. I am not sure too many people actually get to experience this idea in reality.
For me, it could be said that I have had several of these final battles. It’s what causes me to think that life is more of a series of peace and war. Perhaps each battle gets mere difficult, perhaps not. The issue is that in times of peace one must prepare one’s heart for war. Not because it is more beneficial than peace, but because war is inevitable wither with the world, with people or with self.
If I do have a final battle, it will simply be final because it is the last one I fought and it will either be that which kills me, or it will be the thing that leads to me final time of peace before I die. It may not be my biggest battle, I probably will actually tell stories about that over a pint of mead. No, the last battle will not be my toughest, just my last one.
I say this because the toughest battles are usually the first ones where you are learning to fight whatever enemy it is. You survive, so the next time the next battle is easier. My last battle should be the easiest one way or the other. Some where though there will be a great battle that was the turning point ans I do think that is coming up very soon.
“Self Reliance is the spirit of independence, which is achieved not only for the individual, but also for the family, clan, tribe and nation.”
Principle: Work to be self-reliant in all things.
Finishing my education and finding a new and better job is the first step in becomes more self-reliant. Right now I am focused on finishing my last classes and getting things done one at a time and trying to stay focused on finishing everything possible.
“Industriousness is the willingness to work hard, always striving for efficiency, as a joyous activity in itself”
Principle: Work with enjoyment of work itself.
I do enjoy study and homework when I feel the learning taking place in my head. When it seems to be just busy work it can be more difficult. What I am learning again, is this feeling of learning is very much up to me. It is my feeling to generate as I start. This is something I need to remember long after I finish school.
“Hospitality is the willingness to share what one has with one’s fellows, especially when they are far from home.”
Principle: Be ready to be hospitable to those who truly need it.
Hospitality is minimal right now. Not only is our prosperity limited but also time. Once school is done and things are a little more stable, I really hope to change this.
- Communication / Cuddle Time
- Reading – 1 hour per day.
- Study / Homework – 1 hour per day or until all necessary work is completed.
- Empty In Box
- Financial Transaction Input
Next time I will be addressing nutritional questions and one of the things that might appear here is a check area for number of carb sources a day. That is I might have five check boxes for the five foods with carbs in them I can eat that day. AS I draw nearer to my birthday that number would actually get less and less until the last couple weeks it would be zero.
- Be transparent with my wife to improve communication
- Graduate with Political Science Degree in December 2018.
- Find a new, better paying job by the end of January 2019 or before.
- In 2019 have a clear budget and financial plan working by the end of the year.
- Maintain a daily blog streak of one post per day for an entire year (365 days).
- Keep gym membership going somewhere and lift weights minimum of four times per week and walk minimum four times per week through end of 2019
- Follow Paleo Diet completely and use intermittent fasting until the end of 2019
- Cross one thing off bucket list every six months (Deadlines July 1st, and December 31st of 2019)
- Be in the best shape I can be by March 18th, 2019 (50th birthday), take pictures.
#2 is less than three weeks away and there is a lot to do before then but the goal is in sight. Just for the record, my blogging streak will be at 59 days today when this post drops. What I need to do once school is finished is do an assessment before the beginning of 2019 to set some sort of action plan in place for these things.
- Basic Emergency Fund – $1000
- Debt Snowball
- Fully funded Emergency fund
- Invest 15% of income into retirement
- Pay off Home Early
- Build Wealth and Give
This month brought in extra money because of how my pay periods lined up, holiday pay and bonuses. The problem was our cars ate most of it. We would have been very close to having #1 done otherwise. Still fighting. Hopefully a better paying job will help.
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.