Happy Sol’s Day!
We don’t pray here – we figure God, the gods, goddesses, or whatever powers that be (if any) either know already, don’t give a fuck, or are busy with more important matters than our petty stuff. We also kind of assume that they expect us to do stuff that we can do for ourselves and that we will do them ourselves and not be lazy. We also believe in being good friends, so we don’t presume on our friendship with the powers that be by asking them all the time for stuff while giving them nothing in return.
We also don’t take an offering here. We figure the powers that be probably don’t need it. Let’s be honest, offerings are not given to the divine powers, they are given to an organization to support it. Just being honest. God, the gods or whatever never sees a dime, farthing or peso of that money; it all goes to the church, mosque or shrine.
Theme Song: “Setting out to Attack Paris”
Sermon: ‘Viking Philosophy – Part 3 – Be Prepared’
Moving on we see the philosophy of being prepared and it is the kind of being prepared that is constant not in crisis. Battle was never something one could always predict as to when and where so the Vikings fostered an always ready strategy.
- Keep Weapons in good shape – Constant sharpening and maintenance of weapons is a must for a warrior.
- Keep in Shape – No flabby Vikings, as one must be ready to move, march and fight at any time. Rowing ships is work. This perhaps why the Vikings liked contests to keep them motivated to do so.
- Find odd Battle Comrades – One can’t fight alone and one must trust the person to the right or left of them. Part of being prepared is to know who you are fighting with and why. Relationships matter.
- Agree on Important Points – when the talking or fighting begins knowing the main things all can agree on that are important allows one to act with one’s comrades without unnecessary words. Things are known and then everyone acts accordingly.
- Choose One Chief – I cannot state how many organizations failed because they were two-headed or three-headed monsters. There can only be one shot-caller in battle and everyone needs to recognize it
The Rabyd Skald – Wandering Soul, Bard, and Philosopher. The Grey Wayfarer.